All the Time in the World

Melusine

Melusine - Sarah Monette Really, really torn about the rating on this one. Beginning was rather abrupt and extremely off-putting with the sadistic rape and torture of the main character, followed by chapter after chapter of Felix being BARKING MAD and seemingly no movement toward Felix's story converging with that of the other main character, Mildmay (aka Milly-the-fox.) In fact, the two character's paths do not cross until more than halfway through the book. All of that said, the world-building is pretty fascinating (although the whole conceit of septads [as far as I can determine, counting by sevens - i.e., a "Great Septad" = 7x7 or 49; age septad-and-three = 10, etc.] and how that impacts numbers and time-keeping got more than a little wearing as I tried to figure out what time/day it was, or the age of a character) and the magic systems as well (particularly the philosophical conflicts between the magicians of the Mirador and those of other systems, which turn out to be relevant when the biases of your training blind you to alternate explanations.)

Looking forward to reading the next one.