All the Time in the World

The Fifth Sacred Thing

The Fifth Sacred Thing - Starhawk Right of the bat: this is a fairly flawed book, the first published fiction from a legend in the neopagan community. That said, I love the ideas underlying the story, and it still makes me tear up repeatedly while reading it.
---------------------------------------
I've learned recently that a scene where one character explains something to another, in order for the author to get that point across to the reader without having to work it into the exposition, is referred to as a "you know, Bob...", which I find hilarious. There's a really awful one here, early on - Maya says to Madrone, "did I ever tell you about XYZ?" Madrone: "Only about a million times." Maya: "Well, let me tell you one more time, then, in case you've forgotten." And then does. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!