All the Time in the World

The Lincoln Lawyer

The Lincoln Lawyer - Michael Connelly This one didn't really thrill me to my toes - it was an interesting enough read, but never truly grabbed me. I have read a couple of Connelly's Harry Bosch books and thought I'd try one of the free-standing novels (although apparently there have been subsequent Mickey Haller books too - seems authors these days can't resist turning a successful book into a series.)

Mickey Haller is a mid-rank defense lawyer - successful enough to wear nice suits, but he doesn't even have an office - he works out of the back of his Lincoln Town Car, which is driven by a former client while Mickey runs his practice by cell phone in the back seat, shuttling back and forth between courthouses, county jails, and police stations to meet with and represent his clients. The bulk of Haller's clientele is made up of low-level offenders, many of them repeat customers, and he dreams of a "franchise" client - one with deep pockets and charged with a serious enough crime to generate large legal fees. Meanwhile he schemes and sometimes skirts the strict legalities in pursuit of either a "not guilty" verdict or the best deal possible for his client of the moment.

When Haller gets a call from one who might prove to be the cash cow he's been looking for, he grabs the opportunity, never thinking to question why such a rich man would pick him over a more high-profile attorney. As he delves into the case, he begins to suspect that there's more to the situation than meets the eye, and eventually his suspicions will put his life, and those of everyone he cares for, in jeopardy.