All the Time in the World

The Mermaids Singing

The Mermaids Singing - Val McDermid Val McDermid is one of my favorite mystery writers. I had avoided so far getting into her Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series because, oh, you know, I have issues with book series. This one is pretty grim - serial killer who has a thing for medieval torture devices. Interesting characters, though, and I'm really intrigued by the barely-hinted-at backstory of tormented psychologist Hill - what devastating past has left him unable to even consider having a romantic relationship? I'm sure I'll find out soon enough, and since there are five more books in the series to date, I'm also sure the spark between Hill & Jordan will be explored more deeply, if not by the end of this book, then in one of the others.