All the Time in the World

The Harvest

The Harvest - Robert Charles Wilson I'm not quite sure how I feel about this book. As I said in an earlier update, it reminded my in some ways of Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis trilogy (specifically the first book, Dawn) - the basic premise of aliens coming to a dying Earth and transforming humans into something different, as a way of saving us. Also some hints of Stephen King's The Stand - isolated pockets of humanity making contact via ham radio, foraging for needed supplies, even (in a superficial way) the presence of a psychic bond between all of these very different individuals, bringing them to work together/share things they never would have before the triggering event. (On further reflection - also somewhat reminiscent of Greg Bear's The Forge of God.)

Beyond that - I don't know, it just seemed sort of incomplete; like there should have been MORE to the story. I liked the examination of different motivations for declining the aliens' offer of immortality, but thought Wilson could have done more with that.