All the Time in the World

Charlotte Gray

Charlotte Gray - Sebastian Faulks I'm not sure what I was expecting w/ this book - probably more suspense and less soul-searching. I appreciated the history lesson a lot - I apparently had a deep misunderstanding of what it was like in France during the earlier part of WW II, when the government collaborated with and acted as the mouthpiece of the German occupiers, and the involvement of WW I hero Marshal Phillippe Petain convinced most of the French people that their leaders were looking out for their best interests. I also appreciated that there were few miraculous interventions to save the various characters from terrible outcomes - those who were "deported" to concentration camps did not escape by some dramatic means, and not every risky journey ended successfully.

Faulks' main characters are curiously bloodless, spending a good deal of time debating their own motivations (even in the most intimate of situations), which kept me from becoming wholeheartedly involved with their stories.