All the Time in the World

The Book of Air and Shadows

The Book of Air and Shadows - Michael Gruber Upon reading the first 50 pages or so: Can't decide how to categorize this. It's about an intellectual property attorney who gets caught up in intrigue related to a possible undiscovered Shakespeare manuscript.

Now that I'm finished: Holy smoke, what an awesome read. Found myself sitting at a diner this a.m., well after I finished my breakfast, keeping an eye on whether there were still empty tables or whether I'd soon be getting the hairy eyeball from the waitress if I continued to occupy my booth. I HAD TO FINISH those last 40-50 pages!

As I've said elsewhere, I love books about books, and this is a dilly. However: in addition to the mystery about the possible discovery of a previously unknown Shakespeare play, Gruber also delves into the mysteries of the human heart: the stories we grow up believing about our family, our history, and ourselves; the stories we tell ourselves about the choices we've made, and how we ended up who we are; the faces we wear, different ones for different audiences; our willingness to forgive anything in the beloved, even in the face of strong (even indisputable) evidence to the contrary. Really, really well done.

I really need to look into this guy's other books.