All the Time in the World

Silks

Silks - Dick Francis, Felix Francis Pity one can't give a 0 stars rating to a book and have it register. I couldn't even finish this one - taking it back to the library after reading fewer than 50 pages.

It looks like the elder Mr. Francis has given over writing duties completely to his son. I knew from the first page (no exaggeration) that they weren't his words any more. Pulled one of his earlier books from my shelf and compared its first page with the leaden prose of the opening paragraphs of "Silks" - not even close. What a disappointment.

Oh, well - several years ago, after the death of his wife Mary (who was apparently his uncredited co-author for all those years), I thought there would be no more stories from Dick. With his revival of Sid Halley for "Under Orders" I was happy to see him back with a new book, even tho' it wasn't quite up to his usual standard - and even the next one, the first to come out under the names of both him and his son, wasn't bad. I don't really see myself bothering with their future books. Such a shame. Hopefully their publisher will let the old man's quality work remain in our memories and not drag it down by putting out any more crap like this.