All the Time in the World

Tomorrow's Children: 18 Tales Of Fantasy And Science Fiction

Tomorrow's Children: 18 Tales Of Fantasy And Science Fiction - Robert A. Heinlein, Damon Knight, Philip K. Dick, Will F. Jenkins, Robert Sheckley, Fritz Leiber, James H. Schmitz, Zenna Henderson, Clifford D. Simak, Stephen Vincent Benét, Margaret St. Clair, Jerome Bixby, Lewis Padgett, Mark Clifton, Gertrude Friedberg, William Lee, This is one of those rare collections of short stories that sticks with you. I read it for the first time a long, long time ago - probably in the early 1970s - and I can still tell you without looking almost half of the stories it contains: Asimov's "The Ugly Little Boy"; Phillip K. Dick's "The Father-Thing"; "Star Bright" (don't remember who wrote it); Jerome Bixby's "It's a Good Life"; Zenna Henderson's "Gilead"; Fritz Leiber's "A Pail of Air"; Ray Bradbury's "All Summer in a Day." All stories I'd read before or since in other places, but stacked up together here, all of those children, gifted, malevolent, frightened, excited - collectively, this is a true heavyweight.

Seems that others believe it, too - you can't even touch a copy in hardcover for under $50 - even Book Club Editions or ex-library copies, which is about all you'll find these days. And I mean even with no dust jacket. If you find one, grab it, and hang onto it - not as an investment, but because it's a damn fine book.