All the Time in the World

SPOILER ALERT!

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) - Patrick Rothfuss OK, I just re-read this (~2 wks after reading it the first time) because I zoomed through it so fast I thought I should give it a more judicious consideration. It still went so, so quickly. And it's just as good the second time around.

Kvothe could easily have been one of those too-good-to-be-true characters - you know, trustworthy, loyal, helpful, courteous, kind, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. In other words, a magic-wielding Boy Scout. Yes, he does hit most of those on his journey from carefree child to burgeoning hero (you may note that I left out "obedient"), but he's still human. He does things impulsively and doesn't think through the possible consequences (like binding the air in his lungs to the air around him, nearly asphyxiating himself in the process), and sometimes doesn't learn from his mistakes (like maintaining his feud with Ambrose, severely underestimating the latter's hostility, resources, and willingness to escalate their mutual enmity.) His quick wits often save him, but usually just for the moment, and sometimes that temporary respite doesn't serve him in the long run. He's awkward with women, as he should be at that age, but kind to his friends and those strangers who behave decently toward him. He seems a bit too mature in some scenes (like his brash interactions with those older than he), but you could easily attribute that confidence to his upbringing as well as his preternatural intellect.

All I can say is that I'm grateful I only read this now, with the PB edition of the 2nd book due out in less than a month, so I don't have to wait too long to dive back into his adventures.