All the Time in the World

Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)

Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1) - Hilary Mantel I have to say that I LOVED the first half (or so) of this book. It's written in an unusual voice - third person, present tense - which seems to turn off some readers, but other than the occasional confusion of which "he" is being referred to, it wasn't off-putting to me. My dissatisfaction came as the question of Anne Boleyn's status dragged on (and on)... for one thing, if you're at all familiar with English history, you already know that she became Henry VIII's second wife, and the "suspense" is just window-dressing. The only real fascination (for me) lay in Thomas Cromwell's behind-the-scenes machinations, as he balanced his own interests with those of the competing noble houses whose advancement was tied to the Queen's.